How do you get married at the courthouse in West Virginia?
In order to apply for a marriage license, couples must:
- appear together at the Jefferson County Courthouse.
- fill out and sign a marriage license application.
- present valid identifications with proof of age.
- pay a $57 fee by cash or personal check. …
- provide social security numbers.
What are the marriage laws in West Virginia?
First of all, common law marriage is not legal in West Virginia. West Virginia does not recognize common law marriages, and an official marriage license must be obtained for a couple to be legally considered married in the state. Furthermore, when obtaining a marriage license, both parties must be physically present.
Can you get married at the courthouse in Key West?
To secure a marriage license from the county courthouse in Key West, go to 500 Whitehead Street (Monday through Friday – 8:30 to 5:00), the Lester Building 305-292-3458. Wherever you are staying, the courthouse is nearby because we are on a very small island. … Anyone 18 or older can get married.
Do you need witnesses to get married in WV?
There is no statutory requirement that witnesses be present at the marriage ceremony.
What’s it called when you get married without anyone knowing?
Usually, you elope to get married without anyone knowing in advance. The word elope probably originated with the Middle Dutch word lopen, meaning “run away.” Couples who elope typically don’t seek anyone’s permission before running off to get married, not even their parents.
How do you have a classy courthouse wedding?
30 Ways to Plan a Courthouse Wedding
- Send out invitations. …
- Think about your desired style. …
- Spring for some good flowers. …
- Get a good photographer. …
- Have an awesome reception. …
- Don’t forget to ask for help. …
- Say a prayer. …
- Mind the details.
What documents do I need to get married?
- Driver’s licenses or passports (government-issued photo ID)
- Birth certificates.
- Social Security number.
- Divorce decree if you were previously married and are divorced.
- Death decree if you were previously married and are widowed.
- Parental consent if you are underage.
Do I need a witness to get married?
You are legally required to have two witnesses at your wedding ceremony to witness and sign the marriage certificate. The Registry does not supply witnesses. Your witnesses: must be 18 years or older.
How much does it cost to get married at the courthouse in WV?
The cost of a marriage license in West Virginia is $56 and payment is required at the time of application. For couples who have a premarital counseling certificate of completion, the fee is reduced to $36.
Who can marry you in WV?
Persons authorized to perform marriages. A religious representative who has complied with the provisions of section 2-402, a family court judge, a circuit judge or a justice of the Supreme Court of Appeals, is authorized to celebrate the rites of marriage in any county of this state.